Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Death of Words

They were buried
en masse.
Curse words
on top of bible verses
on top of curse words.
A ceremony was held.
We all showed up
in our best clothes.
I bought a suit
and kept the tag on
to return it later.
Those things are expensive
and words and I were never
that close.

We gathered in little
groups at the reception.
3-planet solar systems
circling a dead sun.
We didn't talk.
I went home,
wrapped my suit
back into it's clothes,
and slept.

I dreamt of words
of all types,
buzzing in my ears
like flies.
Phrases, stories,
anecdotes, idioms.
Tomes in all languages
rifling around my head.

Waking in a panic,
I picked up the phone
to call you, but found
that I had nothing
to say.

3 comments:

Chris Andrews said...

This is kind of my eulogy to the blog.

Brent Vogelman said...

Well played and a fitting tribute to this little monster you created. Dare I say that the 3 planets are you, me, and Edward? I hate to call this the end, but the blog lost some serious momentum when we stopped posting regularly.

This has been challenging and rewarding at the same time. I never thought that I wold be able to write 140+ poems, but I have and now I can sort of call myself a writer with proof to show for it. This blog has finally set me on course to write the book that's been in my head for some time now.

I don't know what your overarching goal for the blog is, but I must say one thing: Thanks Chris!

Chris Andrews said...

It's been a pleasure. I am going to post periodically, but only once a week tops. This semester is killing me.