Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Commonist Manifesto

Eliot has come and gone
and no love song of any
language will bring him
back. The elitist is dead
and buried in the back-
yard beneath the budding
lilacs.

Inside, the party
is wasting away—flat
champagne; flatter
conversation. The fat cats
have retired. The help
has quit. A storm
brews outside of town.
We race home to
escape it.

Upon the first thunder,
the heart stops—fearing something
massive, something more
destructive than any tempest
within our horizon.
We are mistaken.
This is home.
This is safe.

We are fools.

The world now fits in
every pocket and witness
the result: desolate
tables, empty chairs rusting
along the sidewalks
of Paris. In the lofts above
Manhattan, the lights of vacant
homes are off for good. The law
of London burns, police
car by police car.

Together,
we are
apart.

There will be a time
when those lilacs will bloom.
We'll stamp them beneath our boot.
No longer will we be the foot-
notes subjugated to the bottom
of the page, as together we
infuse the narrative with the lines
they can't forget,
with the lines
they won't forget—

The lines that everybody will understand.

6 comments:

Brent Vogelman said...

I've been working on this one for some time now. I feel that this could be something bigger. I don't know.

Chris Roberts said...

it's very story like, which i love in poetry. it's something i always want to do, but struggle with.

i'm curious, do you write mostly poetry or more traditional stories as well?

or am i completely off base with the story telling to begin with?

Chris Andrews said...

Brent,
What the hell? I'm so envious of the way you've been crafting poems lately. Eliot is woven masterfully into this poem. I am assuming it was intentional, but it seems so effortless, and it comes across as both a slam and a nod to his work. I like the ideas of footnotes as subjugated , quite literally marginalized beings. Your work has been on point these days.

Edward Yoo said...

I think your lofty ambitions for this poem are well placed, Brent. This poem reads like an epic, weaving past, present and future into a history of our modern world. Eliot confuses me. Wasn't modernism a movement that resisted past traditions? I always perceived Eliot as a writer who embraced them. Either way, I like where you place Eliot in your poem: unheralded and buried in the backyard, and then, stamped on our boots. All the stanzas are powerful, but I'm particularly drawn to the one that describes the world fitting in our pockets. All the images in this stanza are haunting. It's a powerful poem, Brent. I'd love to see if and how you refine it.

Edward Yoo said...

Oops, I got Eliot confused with Pound. Ignore my Eliot confusion please.

Brent Vogelman said...

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. The idea has come to me recently to expand upon the imagery dealing with the wasted cities and I also want to incorporate some allusions to Paine, Marx, and others so this is definitely a work in progress. Eliot was just a start.

Mr. Roberts, I consider myself primarily a fiction writer, but after 150+ poems on this site, I don't know if I can say that anymore.