Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Last Weekend

The kids took designer drugs.
Pills that turned the world neon.
The music rattled their insides
while tracers ran across the sky.
Some wore masks
or gloves with lighted tips
to intensify the trip.
Some danced until their feet
splashed in puddles of their
own sweat.
Some had sex all night
in the wet grass.
Some overdid it
and passed out cold,
returning to the party a minute later
with a chuckle or a grin.

I fell asleep in front of the t.v.
with my glasses still on.

2 comments:

Edward Yoo said...

Haha! I loved the disparity illustrated between the first and second stanza. The excess of the kids' experiences, juxtaposed with the two simple lines that capture your own, is an awesome marriage between content and presentation.

I live in an apartment on Nutwood right across the street from CSU, and I could hear all the college kids laughing and partying at 1:00am while I'm reclining on my couch watching Monk on Netflix...

Brent Vogelman said...

I remember a comment you made on a poem about my brother that mirrored stanzas and you said you wish you could do that. Well, I think you do that hear. Although only two lines, the second stanza is a perfect compliment to the first. The first stanza is so kinetic, like youth, and the second is so still, like aging.

Oh yeah, your first stanza describes the party/rave scene beautifully. I sort of know this (wink..wink).